I understand when we start learning C Programming Language, It’s a bit confusing between compiler and interpreter. Sometimes both sound like a similar one . After reading this post your all misconceptions will go miles away.
What is a Compiler?
The compiler is a computer program that converts high-level language to machine level language, it can convert the whole program to machine level language.
What is Interpreter?
The interpreter also convert the high-level language to the machine level, but it takes single instruction as input.
Difference between Compiler and Interpreter
Below are the points for Compiler
- Scans the entire program and translates it as a whole into machine code.
- It takes a large amount of time to analyze the source code but the overall execution time is comparatively faster.
- Generates intermediate object code which further requires linking, hence requires more memory.
- It generates the error message only after scanning the whole program. Hence debugging is comparatively hard.
- Programming languages like C, C++ use compilers.
Below are the points for Interpreter
- Translates program only one statement at a time.
- It takes less amount of time to analyze the source code but the overall execution time is slower.
- No intermediate object code is generated hence are memory efficient.
- Continues translating the program until the first error is met, in which case it stops. Hence debugging is easy.
- Programming language like Python, Ruby uses interpreters.
Still you are confused between interpreter and compiler feel free to comment we are here to help you.
Do you want to hire us for your Project Work? Then Contact US.